Farm Co-Manager or Assistant Manager
Application Deadline: Friday June 16 at 11:59pm PT
Depending on skill level and experience, applicants will be hired as either Assistant Farm Manager or Co-Farm Manager. If hired as Assistant Farm Manager, applicant will be promoted to Co-Farm Manager after a period of approximately 3 to 6 months as their skills and experience develop.
The Sarvodaya Farm and Nursery Co-Manager is a high-level, skilled position, that will involve overseeing many aspects of our farm and nursery. Both Co-Managers together will be collectively responsible for overseeing our Farm & Nursery.
The co-managers will collectively handle:
- management of production and sales of thousands of plants annually
- management of our vegetable gardens
- management of our demonstration gardens and orchard
- overseeing our Farmer Training Program
- customer service and plant sales
- directing other staff and volunteers
- caring for our two dogs
The Farm & Nursery Co-Manager will report directly to the Executive Director.
Position Hours and Times
The Farm Co-manager will work 37.5 to 40 hours a week:
7.5 hours a day for 5 days a week.
Tuesday through Saturday, 7:30am to 3:30pm (30 min lunch)
Sarvodaya Institute is a 9-year-old, POC-managed non-profit organization focused on helping people recognize themselves as Earth and learn how to engage with our home-body in a nourishing way. We practice and teach gardening as a practice of healing and regeneration to restore health to all beings, working towards the "upliftment of all."
We are seeking an energetic, highly-skilled, empathetic, communicative, community-oriented person. We encourage people of any ethnicity and orientation to apply. You are welcome here.
- procure, start, propagate plants and seeds for nursery
- manage, maintain, and market nursery products
- on-farm sales of plants & garden supplies and customer management
- oversee shipment of online plant orders
- communicate with Executive Director regularly
- manage Farmer Training Program and direct Farmer Trainees
- plant and maintain vegetable garden to provide for our Saturday Free Produce Stand
- maintain fruit trees and native plants through demonstration gardens
- maintain irrigation
- maintain store and inventory
- conduct tours
- care for our two dogs
- Valid Driver's License
- Compassion: ability to recognize others where they are and provide space and nourishment for growth
- Passion for plants, gardening and healing
- Time management: position has varying responsibilities that need to be weighed and prioritized
- Physical strength & stamina: ability to lift 40-50 lbs from the ground, work outdoors doing physical work for an 8 hours
- Experience with gardening and farming in several forms: propagation, maintenance, soil health, tree care, vegetable growing, irrigation
- People management: ability to direct other staff and volunteers
- Open and honest communication including ability to praise and uplift others, admitting to mistakes made, speaking up against unfairness and injustice
- Some experience with irrigation, specifically using PVC and drip tubing
- Sales: ability to sell, know your product and your customer and match them together
- Technology use: must have smartphone and be comfortable using various apps. We primarily use Shopify, Shopify POS, Slack, Asana and Rachio
- Organization: Keeping nursery area neat and organized so customers can navigate available plants. Keeping demonstration gardens looking presentable.
English & Spanish bilingual preferred
$18/hour if hired as Assistant Farm Manager
$22.50/hour if hired as Co-Farm Manager
Send the following to firstname.lastname@example.org
- Respond to each prompt below. Keep each response limited to 1 short paragraph:
- Describe your experience with farming and gardening
- Describe your long-term goals
- Why do you think this is the job for you?
- What do you know about the Pomona community and how would you make an impact here?